Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

False blue Indigo and more!

While at Kyle and Rachel's in Champaign, I was able to go for a walk at the prairie restoration site near Mohomet, across from the Museum of the Grand Prairie.  Several plants were were just right for harvesting seed.  I was able to get a good supply of compass plant, prairie dock, rattlesnake master and false blue indigo.  All are found in parts of Kentucky.

I am drying the seed now but, I am excited about planting some in our garden next spring and at a couple of locations on our farm.  

http://www.museumofthegrandprairie.org/

I am most excited about the false blue indigo which is a legume and perennial.  It reproduces by rhizomes and seed ... likes dry rocky clay soil so, should do well here!  Historically, used as a blue dye. Not my picture below ...



hoffienursery.com



No comments:

Post a Comment