Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Juniper Hairstreak, Butterflies but ... No Monarchs!

After several days of rain, our pollinators were active today.  Lots of bees of all sorts and our honeybees were working.  Below is a juniper hairstreak on butterfly weed in our garden.  Their larva feed on cedar trees and there is an abundance of those here in Holland.   



This juvenal's dustywing was on one of our butterfly plants.  Their larva feed on oaks. 


There has been an abundance of Easter Tiger Swallowtails this year.  A couple of close shots on butterfly plants in our yard. 



At first I thought the butterfly below was the black female morph of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail above. However, now I am pretty sure it is a pipevine swallowtail.  Still no monarchs or larva ... disappointment!



4 comments:

  1. Dear Mister Roberts,
    here is Vivien from Germany. The exchange student from last year. I know it has been a really long time, but I still remember all of the great AP Biology lessons! I'll come next week back to kentucky for three and a half weeks and maybe I can see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vivian,
    Good to hear from my best ever German exchange student! It will be great to see you ... call or email me when you get here and come out for lunch ... maybe some chocolate chip brown sugar pancakes with honey! It will be good to see you and hear your stories! -rr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mister Roberts,
    I'm finally for a little bit longer in Scottsville. After arriving here my host family took me to a weeklong trip to the smokey mountains and then I spent a couple of days in Louisville. Well, now school started back and I figured that it'll be harder to meet. But what do you think about me coming to your farm on saturday about lunch time?
    Vivien

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be great! ... Ms Roberts and I will make you lunch! You can contact me at my school email ... richard.roberts@allen.kyschools.us

    ReplyDelete