Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Mario Sabatel, World Cup Brasil and Pollinator Week ...

I have not seen a lot of soccer players during my lifetime.  We don't even have soccer at our high school which says something about our high school!  I high jumped against Kyle Rote Jr when in college (he was attending the University of the South - Sewanee) and I lost.  He was a national level decathlon athlete and went on to be one of the first famous American professional soccer players.  However, the best player I ever saw was Mario Sabetel on a night game in Corumba while I was in Peace Corps / Brasil.

Mario was our contact person while Sue Neal and I worked in Corumba at a local rural school.  He loved soccer would be an understatement.  He asked us repeatedly to come watch him play for a local team and one night we did.  It was great and no one played with more passion than Mario (even though he must have been near 40 at the time).  He passed away a few years later from cancer.  He would have been excited with the World Cup being hosted by Brasil this year.  Mario will always be my best player I ever saw play in a match.  He was special in many ways to us!

This week is pollinator week.  Our bumblebee populations are very good and we have had an abundance of butterflies on our farm this year.  We continue to plant milkweeds seedlings as well as nectar plants. Check out the Pollinator Partnership website below ...

http://www.pollinator.org/pollinator_week_2014.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment