Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

May-apples, Twinleaf and Rue Anemone

On Saturday, we played the Siegel HS Stars in Murfreesboro.  It was a single varsity afternoon game.  We won and played all 16 players in the contest ... score 11-0 in five innings.  We had a light rain for two innings of the contest ... the girls played and hit well despite the rain.

Today, I took a walk in the afternoon.  It was wonderful to be outside. Some of the early wildflowers were blooming.  Lots of things getting started in the woods.  I am looking forward to the days I do not coach and I can spend more time in our woods and on our farm. Too cold to work bees today ... maybe later this week.


 I saw several colonies of May-apples (Podophyllum peltatum).  Just coming up ... I was looking for dry land fish (mushrooms) but, did not find any.  I am actually not very good at finding dry land fish ... might be my color-blindness problem.


Twinleaf (Jeffersonia diphylla) has just came up and already flowered.  There were still several plants with buds (shown above) about to open.  I have tried to get a picture for three years and this is as close as I have come.  We have two large patches of twinleaf on our farm.  Named after Thomas Jefferson ...



Among the twinleaf plants were what I believe is Rue Anemone (Anemonella thalictroides).  The blooms were beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Nice pictures! Hope I can come in for a walk soon!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete