Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Oh Say Can You Sing and Population Genetics

In AP Biology this morning we wrapped out our Population Genetics Lab, simulating random drift, selection and heterozygote advantage.  On Monday we will hand this lab in and have our annual gamete superlative contest ... let me tell you there were some pretty spectacular gametes operating in Room 509 this morning!  Will have some picts next week!

In Selected Topics, we had a reading day ... articles on puffin reintroduction to the USA,  new thoughts on the BIG BANG theory and more.  Some great discussions!  We will finish up physics next week before leaving for Spring Break.

After school our varsity softball team hit at BSA ... raining and cool!

Last night at the softball game against Mercy, we had Larry Stovall throw out the first pitch of the season.  Larry has been a long-time supporter of Patriot Softball and our school.  I appreciate and admire his dedication and sacrifices for others!

After the lineup announcements, our announcers tried and failed to play the national anthem.  After a few seconds, I ask the crowd to join me in the National Anthem and everyone responded with a great rendition.  It was loud and on key ... I even heard some harmony.  I was so proud of the way our softball team played last night but, I was just as proud of fans singing the national anthem.  

When I was overseas in Peace Corps/Brazil and in Africa on an AID project I missed our country and my family.  In appreciation of returning to this great country I always sing the national anthem when it is played.  ... and lately from time to time I have disappointed in my fellow Americans for not supporting our community and country.  But, last night, I was so proud of our community as they belted out our National Anthem.  It was a hopeful moment for me!  Beating a private school from Louisville ranked #1 in the state was just icing on the cake!

rr

No comments:

Post a Comment