Pages

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Saturday - practice, bees and a nap.

I got home at 1:30 last night from the freshman tournament in Owensboro ... drove the bus and kept score while Robert and Mark did the coaching.  We lost to Henderson County 6-2.  We continue to work with our freshman team which is mostly 7th graders.  This will be the varsity team in 2014 ... some will have to contribute before that!  They have a lot of work to do with this group but they have improved this Spring and I think they realize the commitment that is needed to maintain our softball program as a perennial top-20 program in Kentucky. 

It was a late night ... then we had varsity practice at 9:00 AM ... we reviewed a lot of our infield signaling as well as bunt/slap and defending the bunt/slap.  We finished with our 4 runner drill which we made up this year.  I love this drill and it is fun to watch.  It continues to evolve with a few new rules to control the wildness ... next time we will have to add something about interference!  I'm afraid it might evolve into some kind of roller derby contest.  Practice went well.

Sue Neal brought Granny back to Scottsville (from back surgery in Nashville)  and she will be doing some PT at the hospital to try and get back to walking.  She seems happy to be back in the county.

I put some wax foundation in some frames (30+) before going to check our hives.  I think I have had a couple of hives swarm but all are doing okay ... several have a super (all mediums) and part of another super already this Spring.  If we could just have some sunny days without a lot of wind who knows what they could do!  Our new hives look good.  Blackberries are blooming as are the poplars, locust and paulowania (an invasive species my father-in-law spread all over this farm ... beautiful purple bloom ... will try and take some picts)

I have had a swarm take over a hive I had setting in the barn.  Today I organized it and was surprised to see thousands of bees in there.  They must of swarmed early to build up so much brood ...

AP Biology review tomorrow 3-5 and the AP test is a week from Monday morning.

  rr

No comments:

Post a Comment