Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Beetle Blasters. Crick and more...

I had back parking lot duty AM before school this morning and it makes me so happy my children are grown.  It is wonder that we don't have more accidents in the parking lot than we do since most drivers looking for a parking place are also busy talking on their cell phones, talking to friends or waving at their friends.  It is scary!

In Genetics today, we visited the Sanchez website at the University of Utah.  Tomorrow is the Riedden Lab at MIT.  We are looking at the publications, projects and research at each lab ... and lots of good pictures/information.  We went over the processes of replication, transcription and replication today ... many of the protein players and how mutations in DNA change proteins ... changes for better or more often for the worse.

                       http://planaria.neuro.utah.edu/index.php

Selected Topics worked a little longer on cell biology before reviewing some general biochemistry and playing a little Biochem Poker.  Congratulations to Aden, Geraka and Kris for planning a great game and finishing with $ 770 in chips (candy).  We learned a lot!  Tomorrow, some reading and cell division.


Introduction Computer Programming started our Advanced Karel problems today ... using If-Then and If-Then-Else statements ... Grand Prix tournament is Friday.

Went by the Clinic and got my Bus Driver Physical today after school.  Blood pressure was 120/78 ... and that was after school! ... A big improvement from the old days when I had to nearly take a nap to get my blood pressure down to pass.  The Lisinopril must be working ...

After I got home, before dark, I checked what I thought was my three weakest hives and fed them some sugar water inside the hives with Boardman feeders in pints ... There were a good number of bees in each.  In one of these hives and another nearby I put beetle busters.  I have noticed some small hive beetles when I opened them up previously.  Numbers do not seem high and not much if any damage.  I will check some more hives this weekend.  Beetle Blaster website below for those that are interested.

                   http://www.betterbeetleblaster.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment