Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Last Day of Summer Break!

Today is the last day of summer vacation ... too short with softball going through the middle of June and a week-long AP training at WKU ... not complaining though.  We have inservice days Friday and Monday with students' first day on Tuesday.  2011-2012 will make my 24th year of teaching at AC-S.  With my five years in Ohio and two in Peace Corps / Brazil ... starting my 31st year of teaching, which seems impossible since I farmed for a few years before teaching.  Biology is still so interesting and unlike other subjects at school, it is always changing. Also, I am the oldest teacher at the high school this year.  The finish line in one way or another is in sight ... maybe, I should start my kick (as in track and cross country) ... don't want to leave anything on the course!

It took over a day to clean up after honey harvest, a sticky mess.  I still have to put away the extractor and some supers today.  I put all the wet supers in the barn with the extractor and it only took one day for the bees (several thousand) to find them and carry off the honey.

Since honey harvest, I planted some more buckwheat (actually not related to wheat, a broadleaf plant).  I have added some hairy vetch to some of these small fields and also soybeans (which will be cut short later by frost).  Nothing will germinate until it rains, hopefully, that will happen this weekend.  I plan to plant several of these field in clover, sweet clover, lespedeza and vetch patches early next Spring ... helps the soil and bee food.

It was the hottest day of the summer yesterday.  100 in town with a heat index of about 108.  I have started deep watering some of our plants, maybe that will make it rain.

I noticed yesterday, ironweed and wing-stem is starting to bloom and sumac is still blooming, goldenrod is just around the corner so the honeybees will have something to work on soon.  Will try and get some picts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment