Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Clover seed, softball, frogs and snow!

This morning, I picked up one of the hives that was in the goat field ... a dead out.  It was from a walk-away split last summer and never was very strong.  Going into the winter it was our weakest hive and I suspect a queen problem since there were several full medium frames of honey yet in the hive.  I put eight frames in the freezer to use on other weaker hive during the next few weeks.
I am making bee candy again tomorrow and on Monday will check hives and see how they are doing.

I spread clover seed today in several spots ... yellow and white sweet clover.  I know they are not native plants but, these areas were highly erodible.  Sorry!

We had softball practice at 1:00.  I went in to get the field ready and we played until after 3:00.  While we were practicing a very large V of sandhill cranes flew over ... they were beautiful and making a lot of noise as they headed toward the lake.

Afterwards, I spread grass seed on Granny's yard.

This evening late as I was putting the seeder and equipment away I could hear frogs down at the creek chirping away.  They have been busy every evening this week.  Also even though it was getting pretty dark, I could here a woodcock making noise behind the house.  I know they are calling for 2 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow but, Spring is here ... the snow, a farewell wave from winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment