Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

President's Day ...

We had a little snow on Sunday morning but it didn't last long on the warm ground and was gone by the afternoon.  I made bee candy at Granny's Sunday afternoon.

Today, I walked on some hairy vetch seed and some crimson clover seed.  By mid-morning, I started checking hives ... most were good and had eaten on the candy I put in about 10 days ago.  Three hives had eaten it all and one was trying to build comb so I put a empty super with foundation on that hive.  I put on about 35 pounds of candy (sugar, fructose and water boiled into a fudge) all together.

This afternoon, we had softball practice ...  we hit indoors and our pitchers and catcher threw afterwards.

I stayed in town and met Sue Neal for supper.  We went to see our girls basketball team play in the first round of the district.  Unfortunately, they had to play Monroe County which is in the top-twenty in the state.  Good effort but lost by about 20 points.

Back to school tomorrow ... AP will review and prep up some upcoming labs.  Selected Topics will start their catapult lab.  Softball practice is after school.

Picture below is from one our best hives with the top off  ... they had eaten all their candy, many bees entering and exiting the hive ... several coming in with pollen ... from winter mint (purple deadnettle).   Also below is a winter wren ... I have seen one at the feeder at Granny's ... they are so small, about the size of a mouse!  Their tail is short and narrow  ... Winter wren is not my picture, did not have my camera with me.







maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment