Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Monarch Caterpillars - 26 and a Katydid ...

Today after it warmed up, I moved some of the Monarch caterpillars from the flats outside our garage to our wildflower gardens where I have several milkweed plants.  To my surprise, I found 29 and moved 26 of the them to new homes since they would soon be out of leaves from the plants in the flats.  Flats below ...  Evidently a female Monarch thought I would take good care of her larva.


I moved them to their new homes 6-8 at a time in a pan by removing the leaf or stem they were on and using a small piece of tape to tape that leaf to a leaf on their new host milkweed plants.


By this afternoon they seemed to enjoying their new homes ...



I checked some milkweed patches on Aunt Nell's farm (east side of Holland) but did not find any larva there.  A katydid did pose for a picture.


At school on Friday, the Selected Topics classes used our old Mac laptops to do several plant simulations with Logal software.  It was an effort but we collected good data.  

In computer programming 8th period, we started checking our Hurdle and Carpet problems.  This class is about two days behind my 5th period class.  We will soon be finished with our logic trainer (Karel) and move on to Microsoft qBASIC.  

Students do not have school on Monday but teachers have a PD day.  Students return on Tuesday, AP Biology will be working on aerobic respiration and prepping a lab for Thursday.



No comments:

Post a Comment