Pages

Sunday, September 15, 2013

PD tomorrow at school and fed bees PM today ...

Tomorrow we will have PD at school.  I do not know what we will be doing but I have a lot I could do in my classroom to get ready for starting up AP labs.

On Tuesday in AP Bio, we will wrap up our study of respiration and discuss Chapter 11 in Campbell ... especially signal transduction with examples.  We have study questions for this chapter and we will have to prep up our first of thirteen required labs ... Cellular Respiration.

Today after church, I checked our beehives and fed the bees (about 1/2 gallon of sugar water in a ziplock freezer bag.  I laid these bags in the top of the hive and then cut a couple of slits on top with a razor blade to allow the bees to get to the sugar water (5lbs brought to a gallon with water).  Most hives looked to be doing well.   One hive was in trouble with hive beetle larva ... it appears the queen had died.  I cleaned it up and will check it later in the week.

The goldenrod is in full bloom and our bees have been visiting it and the wingstem.  Also blooming is wild ageratum and ironweed (fading fast).



This caterpillar was under the outer cover of one of our hives but, on the outside of the hive.  Looks alittle like a white marked tussock caterpillar but I am still looking for a better match.  It was about two inches long.











No comments:

Post a Comment