Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Buckwheat redo, raining finally ... thanks TS Lee

Yesterday at daybreak ... started back over the small buckwheat fields I had planted ... it was hot!  I had to disc up what was there because somehow, some weeds have been growing without rain.  After that I had to walk on lime and fertilize with a hand seeder (when my ship comes in I have to get a three-point hitch spreader).

I was hoping that my turnip, upland cress and mustard seed would arrive on Saturday morning ... almost Priority Mail from Stokes Seeds... but, it did not arrive.  I prepared my Burl's Big Turnip Patch and will plant next week.   Afterwards planted buckwheat with Austrian Peas (winter peas) and some hairy vetch I had left over.  This included the deer plots in the bottom ... ended up planting some sunflowers that will not make it to flower but, may give the deer something to eat besides the buckwheat ... a diversion.

Started raining just as I finished and I got soaked on the way into the barn ... reminded me of farming with my Dad and Grandfather ... whenever a rain was coming up, no one wanted to head to the barn first (a sign of weakness) so, we would all get wet leaving the field usually in the pouring rain.

I had to walk in to get the tractor and back down to the bottom to get the truck this morning ... lots of bees at the bee spring fed watering hole ... bees were arriving and leaving a about twenty per minute mostly headed toward the hives behind the house.  Several bees were working the flowers in the small valley behind our house ... They were on the jewel weed but I am not sure they were getting much nectar.  It was beautiful back there at sunrise ... I need to take more walks in the AM.

Already rained about an inch and is suppose to rain all night and several days this week.  Thanks to Tropical Storm Lee ... 

Ate at Aunt Sue Nell's late, went up to check on Granny (her electricity was out ... east side of Holland's electricity comes from Fountain Run) and bottling honey this PM ... tomorrow,  school stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment