Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Plan Test over and Softball starts tomorrow ... turnip green update!

Our sophomores took the PLAN test today (ACT) while the juniors and freshmen took practice ACT tests.  Most of our seniors went to college day at WKU ... most colleges from KY and a few from TN.  Since I have juniors third block, I stayed with the 8 seniors that did not go to WKU.

We return to Genetics tomorrow ... Chapter 6 questions ... review and sample AP free response questions.

After taking a three hour test, I left my juniors off the hook and we watched the first half of Food Inc.  ... we have studied biochemistry and it is all about producing protein and carbohydrates in a big way ... I hope they will be aware that local produce and products are important to our community and important to the health of their family.

We continued to work on arrays in Computer Programming ... will be heading to graphics soon.  We are currently working on a program that will sort and generate a database of addresses using single dimension arrays.  It is actually a program that would produce mailing labels after sorting the address list by age of the resident.

Came home and treated the rest of our hives with Apiguard for mites on our bees ... I don't think it is a problem ... more preventive.  One thing I noticed, I removed the gallon plastic bags I had put in a couple of weeks ago to feed a sugar solution to our bees ... it is the first time I used this method of feeding and it seems to have worked well and easy.  Good numbers in all the hives I checked today.

The cover crop of buckwheat, hairy vetch, austrian peas and clover I planted before the four inch rain we received a couple of weeks ago is doing well ... about 6-8 inches high and it appears the buckwheat will bloom in a week or two.  Also, Burl's Big Turnip patch is coming along well ... plants are 2-3 inches across ... might be too thick and it will have a little grass problem.  We should be picking turnip and mustard greens by the first week in October.  Creasy (upland cress) looks good but is smaller.  I don't like greens but my in-laws live for turnip greens!

Softball conditioning starts tomorrow ... we have never started in September before but, there is change in the KHSAA rules for season limitations and we are now allowed not only to condition but, also to play.  So, tomorrow we will throw a little ... do a little running ... from 3:10 - 4:25.  Season 2012 begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment