Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bees and Hornets

Today was hot with no rain in Holland.  This morning I watered some of our plants around the house.  I took some pictures below of the bees cleaning up the cappings (wax that is removed from the top of the comb when removing the honey).  First picture below are of the finches that come up to behind the house each morning to eat sunflower seed.

There are many kinds of bees, hornets, wasps and ants that try to get a free meal from the cappings and the comb we put out.  Lots of bumble bees ... large and small.




I saw a couple of what I think are bald faced hornets ... Dolichovespula maculata.  I have not seen these before or mistaked them for a mason wasp, Euodynerus bidens  ... which I often see while on walks or bushhogging.


There were several European Hornets at the feeding this morning ... this one seemed interested in the honey but I saw on grab a honeybee in mid-air and take it off to their hive.  The European Hornet is just above center.


I am glad I had my bee suit on !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment