Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

Lynx Prairie and Crested Coralroot

Yesterday, I sprayed Roundup on the fields I am going to no-till later, including Burl's Big Turnip Patch which will include mustard and creasy (upland cress).  I will have to order my seed from Stokes soon to plant the traditional Labor Day sowing.

http://www.stokeseeds.com/product.aspx?ProductID=40344&search=upland+cress

I went through all our hives yesterday and added to supers to two strong hives.  Goldenrod, Wingstem and Ironweed are all coming into bloom and should start a nectar flow soon ... especially, since it rained over an inch last night.  All hives seem to be doing well with the exception of the one down by Long Creek.

I was able to destroy the european hornet next at Aunt Nell's but the one in a maple tree in our yard is a different story.  It is about 20 feet up in the tree and is difficult to get hornet spray up that high.  I will try again today.

Two pictures from our trip to Lynx Prairie in Adams County (OH) on Monday.  Below is a picture of crested coralroot. This plant is saprophytic, living off nutrient via an underground fungus that gets those nutrients from an adjacent plant.  An underground highway of nutrients which I need to research ... sounds like something from Avatar.  The second picture is of a spider web we avoided on our walk that day.  The middle part of the web was about 6-8 inches and the webbing was so close, it looked like an old vinyl record.




No comments:

Post a Comment