Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Buckwheat and Requeening

Yesterday, I planted buckwheat in the field back of our house ...

I had to rent the county's conservation department's drill (below) and bushhogged some places ... Southern States said the buckwheat would be here on Wednesday,  However, they only got 150 pounds of seed instead of 300 so, I only no-tilled a little over 3 acres.  The drill worked well except, it only covers seven feet which mean it takes some time to plant any large amount of acreage.



Took back the drill this morning and had the alternator replaced on our truck.  Spent the rest of the day getting ready to requeen some hives with Gordon tomorrow.  He has some extra queen cells so we are going to try to put them in some hives with old or weak queens.

Also, while picking up my hives I was using to try and capture swarms, I found two European hornet nests (the first I have ever found).  I sprayed one of them but will have to get some more supplies to spray the second hive.  They were both in hollow limbs of maple trees.  They are predators of honeybees.  I have seen them catch a honeybee in mid-air.


No comments:

Post a Comment