Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Beekeepers meeting tonight ...

The Allen County Beekeepers Meeting was tonight at 7:00 ... about 60 people in attendance.  I have been told that the Allen County Beekeepers groups is the largest club in Kentucky ... certainly due to the efforts of several passionate beekeepers.  I on the other hand remain a high novice in this group.

Tonight's topic was harvesting honey by Randolph Richards.  Lots of break-down by the crowd and interesting/useful comments.  Several beekeepers have tested their honey and it was below 17.5% moisture which means that it is good to harvest and will not ferment.  About 18.5% is the tipping point.  It was my first meeting to attend since winter when softball began.  I am looking forward to the future and full participation in the club. Our bee school is scheduled for February 4, 2012 at the high school.

Today I bush-hogged until 1:00 PM and then went to Bowling Green to run some errands,  It was really hot here today with a high around 96. I am still leaving large borders around the fields for wildlife.

Sunday I went to Sunday school and did not have the lead the song service or play the piano ...

Sunday evening I planted about a third of our garden ... squash, gourds, pumpkins, sunflowers, green beans, some flowers ... too late for many items but it will keep the weeds off of it.  Probably will end up a deer buffet.

Rachel sent me an article about milkweeds (looks like the butterfly in the picture is on a goldenrod plant).  This year I have mowed around about a dozen patches of common milkweed and several more of butterfly weeds (also a milkweed) in an effort to help the monarchs.  Each year I leave these patches they get bigger and provide many pollinators will flowers and of course Monarch caterpillars with a food source.  Her article from the New York Times is below and the theme is that mega-agriculture continues to be a problem in nature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/12/science/12butterfly.html?hpw

No comments:

Post a Comment