Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saturday, mowing and tree frogs

This morning went up to check on Granny pretty early ... Uncle Glenn showed up on his way to town and we had a good conversation.  It is not the same without Uncle Burl though ...

Mowed the yard (push mower) at the house across from Granny ... I am going to have to do something with this house ... it is over 120 years old and just a lot to fix ...

Sue Neal and I mowed our yard after I went to town for gas.  Our riding lawn mower broke down again so I had to push mow a little less than half of our yard. I will be sore tomorrow!

The last few nights I have been listening to the tree frogs (they are in abundance I guess because of the moist spring and summer).  As they are chirping, they become synchronized for a while at about the rate of 120 chirps per minute (probably dependent on temperature) ... hundreds of them!!!  These synchronized periods last for a few seconds before falling apart and then about 20-30 seconds later synchronizes again.  After looking around on the internet, there is a sync theory which I will have to look into.  I have thought all along there is a rhythm or sync obvious in nature.  Something to study later.

Today, I took picts of a wooly mullein plant (Verbascum thapsus) in the field beside where I was mowing.  It has very hairy leaves and has lots of nicknames ... Indian tobacco and cowboy toilet paper ... it is an invasive from Europe.  I don't see it in fields often and since it is invasive, does not get spared.  It is a biennial ... a rosette the first year and bolts the second year ... this one was about 5 feet tall.






Verbascum thapsus 

No comments:

Post a Comment