Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ragweed problem and a pileated woodpecker alarm clock!

I planted a field of clover early this Spring and got a good stand except I also got a good stand of common ragweed (seed laying dormant for years probably).  After our last rain, I noticed the ragweed was about twice as tall as the clover so, yesterday I set my bush-hog to just clear the tops of the clover and bush-hogged the field.  We will see how that works.  In that field yesterday, I saw four grown turkey, a mother quail with several half grown quail and several deer.  

My school schedule came in the mail yesterday and for the first time in years, I will not have fourth block planning.  I don't know how I will get things ready during softball season ... getting the bus and everything together to leave promptly after school is probably out now.  It will be more difficult.  On the bright side, I have second block planning which will allow me to get more school work done at school (although second block misses a lot for Josten's and etc.)

Squash and sunflowers I have planted in our garden are up.

I saw in the Bowling Green paper where one of the WKU assistants resigned yesterday and will be coming to Allen County as an assistant coach.  Since Franklin Simpson got the former WKU head coach as an assistant for their team, I would call that even.

This morning early, three pileated woodpeckers were playing tag in the hickory trees behind the house or it could have been a flight lesson for some young woodpeckers.  They were making lots of noise (of course) ... they ARE the crows of woodpeckers (noise factor) and nearly the same size!


Pileated Woodpecker


No comments:

Post a Comment