Pages

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Brass Caroling, Wrapping Presents and AP Bio ...

Sam Kent's brass caroling tonight in town.  Sam had about 15 brass players ... we went uptown and played at some several locations then to all the rest homes in town, the YMCA and hospital.  He has organized this for years ... I played the sousaphone, but not well since, I only play once a year.  I did play better this year for some reason or I am getting older and only think I am playing better ... one or the other.  We had chili at the Foster's house afterwards ... several former students played this evening and it was good to update with them.

Sue Neal and I have been preparing for our children to get home for Christmas.  I am pitiful at wrapping presents!  I have tried to take a walk each day during break since when we get back, softball will take up a lot of time.  Lots of birds, squirrels and deer ... ferns, moss and fungus.  I am already looking forward to spring!  I got rained on during my walk this morning but the rain sounds in the woods were wonderful.  Pictured below is a small brown toadstool from a walk this week ... a little larger than a quarter.




A little encouragement to my AP students to work on the Christmas reading assignment.  Also I would encourage you to watch the Anderson youtube video on Lab 12 before you return ... We will be using LaMotte kits which are different but, the procedure is the same ... a good pre-lab look!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEcBQurjUQ4

While reading the ecology material pay close attention to energy flow (food chains cannot be long!), the biogeochemical cycles (especially carbon-oxygen and nitrogen), population growth curves (J and S), symbiotic relationships (nitrogen fixation / legumes and bacteria or ... lichens are my favorites) and competition.  We will hit the ground running on the first day.  Be ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment