Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Break and rain today ... picts

We are in Christmas Break ... still grading papers though.

This weekend, we had Claire's parents down for lunch ... we had a great visit.

On Monday, I made up some bee candy to put in some of our weaker hives (15 lbs. of sugar, 4 cups of water, 1 quart of fructose syrup, 1/2 teaspoon of creme of tarter and 1 teaspoon of apple vinegar).  After cooking I put in aluminum pie pans the put a pie in each weak hive using the new shims I have made ... see picture below ... I painted the shims some bright colors for a change.  I checked all 18 hives and the bees were moving around some since it was near 50 degrees.

Today, I went for a walk early and the bees were out ... probably a few cleansing flights ... bathroom time! Lots of birds and squirrels out this morning when the sun was out.  Rain started at about 11:00.  I have been taking different routes each day on the walks to Long Creek and back.  Only thing green in the woods in late December are masses of moss and Christmas ferns.  (see below)  Some of the mosses are bright, almost florescent green.  Also saw some old logs with bracket or shelf fungus today ...  some pictures below ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bracket_fungus





No comments:

Post a Comment