Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer solstice, bush hogging and sunflowers

Summer vacation continues ... summer vacation started a couple of weeks ago for most but, with the state tournament and all the paperwork to finish the year, I felt like it started yesterday.  Today is the summer solstice ... summer begins and the longest day of the year, the sun is at its northernmost elevation.  The sun was up before 6:00 this morning which give me lots of time to work today.

Tonight is the the softball teams banquet ... catered instead of pot-luck ... which means we have to charge for parents and guests to attend which is not good for any team concept.  In high school sports, team dynamics is as important and at times even more important than skill development.  It is not just about throwing, hitting and catching the ball.  I would rather have less or nothing to eat and have everyone attend without paying.

Last week, Sue Neal and I got to see our three kids ... visited Rachel and Kyle in Champaign, IL to pick up Hannah.  Hannah stayed until last Saturday which was great ...  Our son, John came over from Bowling Green to visited his sister a couple of times.  It was a fun to see them and hear their stories.

Yesterday, after I planted several flats of sunflowers out by the road entrance.  I am hoping the rain today and tomorrow will help them take off.  Took our Elantra to have the oil changed and checked out and Napiers.  I am going to sell it after I get the brakes checked and it cleaned up.

In the afternoon, I bush hogged in the fields near our house ... leaving the weeds and wildflowers 100 feet or more around the edge for wildlife.  In the field in front of the house, there was a patch of bee balm which I mowed around.  It is pale lavender and I will try and get a picture of it today.  Also, I leave all the butterfly weeds (Asclepias tuberosa) I find.  Butterfly weed is a milkweed with beautiful orange-red cluster flowers ...  they have a seed pod like common milkweed only significantly more narrow and elongated.  I will try and get a picture today of this plant also. I mowed down lots of nodding thistles in our back field but some had already gone to seed.

Leaving plants/weeds in a field would not make my grandfather Roberts very happy and require an explanation for which he would not like.






No comments:

Post a Comment